Vegan Anzac Biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 100 g / 1 cup oats
- 85 g / ¾ cup (slightly heaped) desiccated coconut
- 100 g / 1 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 100 g / ½ cup + 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp water, hot
- 100 g / 3.5 oz vegan butter, margarine or refined coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 355° F.
- Put the oats, desiccated coconut, flour and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over a low heat, add the maple syrup and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the 2 tbsp of hot water and add to the melted butter mixture.
- Add the melted butter mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently until it is mixed well.
- Roll mixture into balls with your hands (it should make 20 at 25 g each), flatten each ball so that you have 1 cm / 0.4″ high cookies, and place them 2 cm / 1″ apart on a paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden and transfer to a wire rack to cool.